Thursday, September 10, 2009

Notes from my other blog

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

A David and Goliath Endeavor

"The bigger the problem the bigger the fall." Or "the bigger they are, the harder they fall. "I wanted to tackle a big problem, No Chicanos on TV. I wanted to tackle the TV and movie industry. Why go after the little game when you can go after the big ones? Just as many rich white men go hunting lions, tigers, elephants, rhinos, or big fish, I wanted to go after a big industry. You may call it the thrill of the hunt or you may think that I'm suicidal. I think not. I hope I'm not. But just like my Spanish ancestor Don Quijote who also went after the big windmills, I too want to go after something big. If not, then why waste my time pursuing something small and simple. If you are going to shoot at something, make sure it's worth it. (By the way, I don't own a weapon nor do I necessarily believe in them. I'm speaking metaphorically.)
Imagine if our ancestors and black people had not envisioned a society where people of color and Latinos could have more equality on the community, school, marketplace, etc. Not that it is perfect, but it is better than when you look at history.
Make it count!
Frank R. Castillo © 2008

Alternative Latino Films and Videos

I was just yahooing and googling Chicanos on TV and I came across this interesting website about Independent Latino Films and Videos, Subcine. This is a great idea and response to the No Chicanos on TV or No Chicanos in Hollywood problem.Check it out.

Frank R. Castillo © 2008
Posted by Frank at 03:49:51

No Chicanos In Hollywood Too

Aside from No Chicanos on TV, there are virtually no Chicanos in Hollywood too. Let's face it how many Chicano / Latino movies come out each year? You can count them in one hand. And about 1/2 of them are in Spanish or made in Mexico. Not to put that down but my point is that they are not being made in Hollywood. Yet how many Anglo movies come out? Probably about 3 or more each week. Again just like on TV, don't we count? Aren't our lives or stories as interesting as the general mainstream? Where are our stories being told? Not on TV or in Hollywood! Most of the stories don't even have a Latino in the storyline. (If it wasn't for the Jessica Albas or the Cameron Diazs, we would almost be invisible.)
In fact there are now more movies about cartoons or superheroes than there are about Chicanos/ Latinos.
I have a great idea that I use. When I see an upcoming movie, like for example, Speed Racer or Harry Potter, I just say (White) Speed Racer or (White) Harry Potter or (White) LOST. In other words I just call it for what it is: a white movie about white people doing gabacho things. It helps me to decide if I want to watch it or not. Usually not. I'm not in the mood to see an all white movie. I will ask myself, "Do I feel like spending my money to watch an all white movie that doesn't reflect me, or my life or my loved ones?" Which brings me to another point which I will discuss more later. I usually simply choose not to watch 100% white movies unless they are historical and they take place in Europe, like Elizabeth. But even this movie had Latinos.

Frank R. Castillo © 2008
Posted by Frank at 03:33:00
Saturday, April 26, 2008

A Solution - Another "BROWNOUT

Ok. Enough of the problem. Let's talk about a solution. Let's see some action. Actually Latinos already tried it before. In September 1999 we, Latinos, called for a National Brownout. The National Council of La Raza and other groups decided to boycott CBS, NBC, ABC and FOX, (2, 4, 7, 11 respectively). The boycott was for two weeks from Sunday September 11, 1999 until September 25 just two weeks into the new fall season. Were we successful? Well we still don't have Chicanos on TV or Brown People on TV. But I'm sure we got some attention and some gains. "Rome wasn't built in one day." And the Boston Tea Party didn't give the US its independence, but don't underestimate the power of struggle. Personally, I think we should do a National Brownout every Cinco de Mayo and 16 de Septiembre or during the ratings weeks of November and February until we win. I think these are parts of the solution. We just need to do more of it and more often.

Don't you all remember how successful we were with the 1970s boycotts of Coors Beer, Gallo Wine, grapes and Farah pants? We were so successful that they are not mentioned in the history books. And back then there were less Latinos and no emails or internet.For more info on the National Brownout, please go to

Frank R. Castillo © 2008
Posted by Frank at 20:10:49

The Late George Lopez Show on TV

The George Lopez Show

Last summer, Channel 7 cancelled The George Lopez Show and replaced it with a show about cavemen. (Imagine that! Cavemen are more important than Chicanos on TV!) Thank God the show was cancelled. As for me I personally was going to boycott this show just because Channel 7 had chosen to replace it with this show.

About the only Chicano on TV was the George Lopez Show. Sure some people didn't like it. Sure some Latinos didn't like it. But when have we ever agreed on anything. Take for example, if you ask a Latino what is their favorite food, song or car, you will discover a great variety. If you ask about their favorite book or movie again there will be no consensus.

That's ok. It's called diversity or choices. (If you ask Anglos, blacks or Asians the same questions, you'll most likely get the same results.) If you ask within the same family, you'll probably get the same results. But if you ask, "Would you rather have The George Lopez Show on TV or not? You will get a different response. Or if you ask, "Was the George Lopez Show a Chicanos on TV show? Most will answer, "Yes." If you ask Latinos do they want to see more Chicanos on TV, most will say, "Yes." If you ask most people if the George Lopez Show is part of the problem or the solution, most will say, "the solution." If you ask any of them to name the Chicanos on TV shows or stars, there will be few to name. We are not that dumb. Check out George Lopez's comments and other people's comments on Channel 7's cancelling his show.

Read more of George Lopez's comments: "TV Just Got Whiter

Frank R. Castillo © 2008
Posted by Frank at 00:43:10
Friday, April 25, 2008

Who is Lalo Guerrero? Mr. Chicanos on TV himself.

"I think that I shall never see, any Chicanos on TV.Huggies has their three babies: black and white and Japanese.Chicano babies also pee, but you don't see them on TV." Song by Lalo Guerrero, "Chicanos on TV"

He is the only musician to write about this issue of "No Chicanos on TV." In a sad a prophetic way he was right. He never got to see Chicanos on TV since he died in 2005 and there still were no Chicanos on TV. (Well maybe the George Lopez show, but no Chicanos on TV in great numbers.)
*******************************************************************
¿Quién es Lalo Guerrero? El Señor mismo Chicanos en la TV

“Pienso que nunca veré, cualquier Chicanos en la TV.Huggies tiene sus tres bebés: blanco y negro y japonés.Los bebés Chicano también hacen se mean,pero usted no los ve en la TV.”
Canción de Lalo Guerrero, “Chicanos en la TV”
Él es el único músico que ha escrito sobre este tema “ningunos Chicanos en la TV.” En una manera triste y profética él tenía razón. Él nunca consiguió ver a Chicanos en la TV puesto que él murió en 2005 y todavía no había Chicanos en la TV. (Bien quizá el único ejemplo fue el Show de George Lopez, pero ningunos Chicanos en la TV en grandes números.) Descubra más sobre el número 1 músico Chicano: Lalo GuerreroFind out more about The Number 1 Chicano Musician: Lalo Guerrero

Frank R. Castillo © 2008
Posted by Frank at 03:30:37


Where you can find some Chicanos on TV

Here are some web sites that give some information on Chicanos on TV. I just googlec and yahooed the words and some of these came out. I still haven't had the time to check out each one, but some of them were interesting. One that stood out for me was The Chicano TV Network for obvious reasons. When I went to the website, I was surprised that it was in my own back yard of Santa Ana, CA. What a small world! (However since they are on cable tv and I don't have cable, I can't see them. But if you have it, check it out.) Check some of these out just for the heck of it.
The Chicano TV Network

Frank R. Castillo © 2008
Posted by Frank at 03:13:46

Blogging is a strange animal

Blogging is a strange animal. It feels like you are talking to yourself or like you are just journaling. This isn't too bad I guess since I've published two book and it is very similar. Also I used to journal so I guess it's not that bad either. But what concerns me most is that I hope someone is reading this, otherwise it makes no sense. I know we Chicanos don't usually like to write letters to the editor or to complain in general so I guess if I don't have a lot of comments or posts by others, it shouldn't phase me.
After all I've never gone into someone else's blog either let alone posted comments.
So I have to be patient. I have to concentrate on the issue, Chicanos on TV and not on me or on the blog. Just like when I wrote those two books, I have to believe that someone else will read this and that it will be meaningful to someone else.

Frank R. Castillo © 2008
Posted by Frank at 03:00:49
Thursday, April 17, 2008

"We Have Bigger Issues In The Latino Community Than Chicanos on TV"

Some, Latinos and non-Latinos, may argue that we have bigger issues to worry about than Chicanos on TV. In other words, why should I worry about Chicanos on TV if we have bigger problems. You know what, I agree with you. We do have bigger issues in our community like gang violence, drop outs, immigration or prisoners and a bunch of others. But it still does not negate the fact that there are no Chicanos on TV. Two wrongs don't make a right. In other words just because we have these other issues doesn't mean we shouldn' t fight for Chicanos on TV. These problems are not mutually exclusive.
When we, and other people of color especially our black brothers, were fighting for equality how could one say which is more important - living next to white people, going to school with white people or sitting in a theatre with white people or marrying white people. Which is more important? They all are important. And similarly just like the other issues are important in our community, so is equal access to public television. In other words, Chicanos on TV is just as important as all of the other "harder" issues that confront us.

Frank R. Castillo © 2008
Posted by Frank at 23:51:50
Thursday, April 10, 2008

Equal Access to TV - a Civil Rights Issue

Make no mistake about it (equal access to TV) Chicanos on TV is just as much a civil rights issue as equal access to education (segregation era), housing, public transportation, swimming pools, theatres, racial intermarriages, baseball, the military etc. that we and Black people and people of color have had to overcome. In fact this is a new civil rights issue - the ability for Chicanos, Afro-Americans, Navitive Americans, Asians, Pacific Islanders and others to be on TV, behind the cameras, etc. since we are members of American society. Our stories need to be told. We need to see ourselves and have our children and neighbors see our stories and their stories on TV too.
Similarly, most people both those affected, minorities, and those perpetuating the harm are blind to their actions. Very few can 'see' what is going on. It is only later, that most people and history will vindicate the errors. Then, we will have holidays and heroes like Dr. Martin Luther King and Cesar Chavez.

Frank R. Castillo © 2008

No comments: